Announced by Lauren Clement on Thursday, January 9, 2020, 12:54 PM GMT+8
The WCA Results Team (WRT) is looking for new devoted and trustworthy team members!
Do you like numbers? Are you the type of person quickly spotting typos or inconsistencies in restaurant menus that others miss? Does it drive you crazy when people lack precision with data? If yes, then you might be a very good fit for the WRT!
The qualities that you should bring to become a WRT member include:
- You must be very responsive and be willing to work on WRT tasks regularly.
- You should have a good sense of detail and you must be able to handle data precisely and consciously.
- Since the WRT operates on the WCA results database, you have to be a very trustworthy and reliable member of the WCA community. Ideally, you are already a WCA staff member or you have a recommendation from one.
- You should have a basic understanding of what a (relational) database is.
- Existing experience with SQL (MySQL) and programming are beneficial, but not strictly mandatory.
As a WRT member you will work on the following regular tasks:
- Verifying, uploading and publishing competition results.
- Handling change requests to results or personal data.
- Supporting WCA Delegates and other WCA committees with data-related problems and requests.
- Investigating inconsistencies in the WCA database.
- Analyzing the WCA’s data to provide insights for other teams/committees.
- Cooperating with the WCA Software Team to improve WCA’s software solutions related to WRT’s work.
On average, the membership in the WRT requires approximately 4-5 hours per week. In return, you gain a deeper insight into the structure of the WCA and the WCA database, and you will actively contribute to ensuring the integrity of the WCA's competition results. The official rights and duties of the WRT as described in the Motions of the WCA can be found here.
If you are interested in joining the WCA Results Team, please send an application to WRT leader Sébastien Auroux (email@example.com). The application should at least include a comprehensive description of yourself, showing why you would be a good addition to the WRT, and your motivation and goals for becoming a WRT member.
The application deadline is January 30th 2020 23:59 UTC. Following that date, the applications will be reviewed and discussed among the current WRT members and a decision will be made about 2-3 weeks after.
We are looking forward to your application!